Monday, October 5, 2015

Finding The Balance Between Being a Business Owner and a Blogger


I am not a blogger. 


There, I said it. I have tried numerous times but as you can tell  my frequent absences and "I'm back!" posts, there is just something about it that I find so difficult to keep up with. No matter how many times I try to create a content calendar, or scribble down post ideas or read blogs and articles about creating content and blog management, I just can't seem to get my act together. 

But something has happened. I think I've been approaching this all wrong and two things that I have been doing recently have kind of opened my eyes to this. 

The first is a podcast I have been listening to, called Elise Gets Crafty. In it, Elise discusses different aspects of being a creative entrepreneur. In one episode, she talks about blogging as a business owner and says something to the effect of "I am not a blogger, I am a business owner that blogs. There is a difference." This seemed to strike a chord with me, up until hearing that felt like I needed to be both. It was almost freeing to let myself off the hook for not "being a blogger".  

The second thing that has happened is that I have been participating in a class over at Studio Calico called Marketing For Creatives. I'm finding it to be super inspirational and informational, but an important message that keeps being brought up is to do one thing at a time. It is really eye opening to allow myself to only work on one thing at a time. Sometimes I get stuck in a mindset of having to do it all because I see other creative entrepreneurs who seem to do it all. What I need to remember is that I am still just starting out...Holy Noley is not even a year old yet! I should not expect to be doing it all, because that is setting myself up for failure. But now that I have that in my mind, it is allowing me to approach blogging in a different way. 

I'm thinking that for a little while at least, I am just going to try and treat this blog a little less like a serious component of Holy Noley and just post when I can. This way I am not obsessing over imaginary deadlines and making myself crazy. Maybe one day I will figure it all out, but until then, this is what I have to do. 

So how do you juggle it all? Do you have a secret to making it all happen that you can share? 

No comments :