Wednesday, October 7, 2015

Fri-DIY Fall Scarecrow Decoration


Hi guys! Hope you are having an awesome week so far! I don't know about you guys but there is just something about fall decor that I love. The warm colors and rich textures just have me feeling some type of way. Though I don't have a home to decorate yet, it doesn't stop me from trying projects out that I can do in the future! Plus, Bri's mom was super happy with this as a gift! 


So this project was inspired by this scarecrow magnet project and whips up super quickly. All you need are some strips of wood ( I used Clear Pine from Michael's, it came in a pack of 2), some craft paint, hot glue and some raffia or straw.

First thing is first, hot glue all the strips of wood together. I used five strips for the face, and one for the hat brim. After that, I decided to add pieces to the back for stability. I used cut up paint stirrers, but in hindsight would have purchased another pack of the strips to save myself the trouble of cutting the stirrers to size.




Now for the fun part - painting! I mixed orange with a drop of red for the hat and an eggshell color with a drop of yellow for the face. I used the same orange for the nose and black for the eyes and mouth. You could even use a paint pen to draw the face if you wanted to make it easier or more kid friendly!



Finally, hot glue a little bit of raffia or straw to the backside of the brim. I just kept adding and playing with it until it came out the way that I wanted it. You could also add some on the bottom as a collar to make it extra scarecrow-y. Depending on how you want to display it, you could attach a ribbon or a hook to the back. I hot glued a piece of wire to the back so it could be hung.


I'm so excited with how it turned out, and feel like it could be redesigned in so many ways. Picture a black hat and carrot nose for winter, or a green hat and beard for St. Patrick's Day. The possibilities are endless! How would you redesign it? Tell me below in the comments!




1 comment :

Anonymous said...

Great work on this Scarecrow Sign. I've linked this decoration tutorial with my site. Check it out! https://www.diyornotdecor.com/scarecrow-sign